Saturday, December 20, 2008

Chlebíčky


One of my favorite Czech food practices is chlebíčky. Technically, translated as "little bread" or "open-faced sandwiches." I have been to a few parties – both small, informal and large, more formal – that have served these. The Christmas party at my workplace was my most recent encounter. I was talking to one of my Czech colleagues about them. She said that some people consider them old-fashioned – I believe she referenced the communist era in her description but, well, folks it was a party, I had a glass or two of wine and I was also tired because I had been working all day. Anyway, they are not necessarily "the thing" nowadays. I commented that the spread that we had laid out looked very nice, fancy, etc…She asked if we had anything like this in the US and I said not really. Not this elaborate. The photo here is of some leftovers that they forced me to take home (and which I gladly ate for dinner the next evening). Upon a brief reflection of what we do in the US, I said that we would have everything laid out separately – a meat platter, a cheese platter, a bread or roll platter – and that everyone would have to assemble their own. (Somewhat similar to the "roll-your-own-sushi" on a recent episode of Top Chef.) I think presentation-wise, ease of eating-wise, chlebíčky are better. However, when you are a somewhat picky eater like I am, you have to roll with the punches and either pick that sliver of boiled egg off or hope that the other flavors in that bite mask it. (Not a fan of the boiled eggs, am I.)

So, here are some of my observations about chlebíčky, regarding toppings and other things:

  • Size: essentially, the size depends on the type of bread used. In my observations, most caterers use a baguette or Italian-style loaf, cut into ½ inch or 1 inch slices. I have been in an individual's home where she used a different type of bread, cutting each piece in half to make the size that she wanted. Most often, I have seen the smaller ones but the larger sizes allow more substance and make it more like a sandwich than hors d'oeuvres.
  • Spread: the bread is usually covered with some type of spread. Butter, creamed cheese, or even mayonnaise-based salad. Those with the salad usually just have a garnish on top because the spread is the main component. Butter and creamed cheese (I say "creamed" not "cream" because I have had different flavors here and would not say that all use what we consider "cream cheese" but more spreadable cheese of different varieties.) are used (I believe) to help keep the other toppings on the bread.
  • Toppings: meat and cheese are the primary candidates. Pick things that go together. Ham and salami are favorites, I believe because a) they are Czech favorites and b) they fold nicely. I have seen cheese deli-sliced and folded or rolled, or more thickly cut and then cut out into a shape (for example, a Christmas tree). You might also find a variety of vegetables that are more than just a garnish, like bell pepper slices or pickles, tomatoes, cucumbers, or the (accursed) boiled egg slice…really, whatever you think would taste good. And, then any other type of garnish – carrot curls, chives, parsley, etc, etc, etc…

Being a fan of meat, cheese and bread – which also explains my love of pizza, adding to the list my favorite fruit/vegetable the tomato – I like chlebíčky. As for a party setting, they really are lovely; little pieces of edible art in some way. I've decided that they will be what I bring to parties from now on…except the major drawback. They are difficult to transport. For the Christmas party at work, four of us walked down the street to the caterer and each carried back 2 or 3 large trays of chlebíčky. You can't stack them (like brownies). You can't quickly assemble them (like bruschetta). So, I guess in the end this is a question or commentary on the practicality vs. the artistic value of party food….Talk amongst yourselves - meat and cheese platters or pre-assembled chlebíčky, American or Czech…


No comments:

Post a Comment