Saturday, January 24, 2009

Surviving fieldwork

So, I had a whole week of full activity in the office. To help you understand my life a bit, my research activities work in a cycle. Every month I have a week or two of recruitment and training activities to work at my "job." Then the rest of the time I am "free" to pursue my other research activities, like interviews. That is unless they need me at the office. Last week, we had 3 days of training and recruitment, then 1 day of training new instructors, which I had to prepare for. After about 6 months of relative inactivity, I had a very long week at the office, getting in early, staying late (not as late as some, though) all the while trying to learn my new responsibilities, understand what's going on around me when people are speaking Czech and trying to do a bit of research. By the end of the week, I was exhausted, mostly mentally. All in all, it went pretty well. I did my first survey and people actually filled it out. I introduced myself and invited people to sign up so that I could contact them about participating in my study and about 1/3 of the people did. Now I have to contact them and set up interviews!
It's kind of an odd way to do fieldwork, or at least I think it is, very sporadic. I can go days without doing anything directly related to my work but I think that will change now that I am getting people to participate. Although I am in my 3rd month here, I am only now beginning the fieldwork process.

No comments:

Post a Comment