Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thoughts on a Plane

To get to the Motherland, I must go through the Fatherland. Flying Lufthansa to Prague via Frankfurt. (Seriously, my mother’s heritage is Czech and my father’s is German.) So, I had about an hour to spare before boarding – after checking about 150 lbs of luggage, seriously, and “smuggling” another 70 in my carry-ons (really, who’s heard of the 8 kilo max on hand luggage?). Anyway, I decided to pamper myself a bit with a manicure at the airport spa, complete with deluxe massage chair, the kind that reclines to complete horizontal. Let me digress for a moment to say that not only am I a fan of airport spas but I have been known to support them on occasion. Overpriced, yes. But, sometimes, I just need to have a deluxe massage chair roll the travel stress away. And for those who say that I’m not a “real” anthropologists because I “complain” about not being able to find a reasonable pedicure price in the Czech Republic, I suggest you read the upcoming post about why I’m glad I brought my boots. So, getting back to the mani, from a lovely young lady named Tiffani. I could see out the door so I saw it coming – the flash of a camera. Tiffani was a bit taken aback and commented on the fact that people should ask before taking someone’s picture. I automatically put the two men into the category of tourist and obviously non-American. (I also thought about all the human subjects forms I’ve been building for the past months but that’s a different story.) I say obviously because they just didn’t look American. Some people claim that they can tell Europeans and Americans apart by facial features (and no, I’m not talking about 19th century anthropologists). I think it has a lot more to do with clothing and hairstyle. It’s that, again, look that people from different countries have. With these two I present the following “evidence”: the man who took the photo was wearing a track “suit”, track pants with a sleeveless t-shirt tucked in, all brand-named and a fannypack. The other had a rumpled kind of look that most American men just can’t quite seem to achieve; American men often seem to still look to put together. Remember, folks, this is a blog so I’m just offering my opinions here :). However, I have a so-called confirmation of my assessment because the men were on my flight and talking German as the mob was gathering around the gate to board. (Apparently the Brits really are the only people who know how to queue!) Since I could see them talking before the flash, my idea of their conversation went something along the lines of “look at those Americans who like luxury so much they have a spa in the airport!” Anyway, Tiffani’s comment started us talking, leading to that little serendipity for the day. At some point, I (relevantly) mentioned that I am an anthropologist. She asked me if I keep a log every day. I was a bit surprised because someone actually knows what an anthropologist does!! And she didn’t mention dinosaurs or bugs or Indiana Jones! I thought about commenting on that but I couldn’t figure out how to articulate my thoughts without sounding condescending. But what she really did was remind me that what I do is cool. Which is exactly what I needed because my introverted half was doing it’s normal pre-international trip monologue – I don’t want to go…I want to stay where I’m comfortable and can speak the language…Yes, folks, a half-introverted, half-extraverted anthropologist (I have come to realized since first writing this that this dual personality may actually help me more than hurt me but that will come later too). So, in the effort to bring the extraverted side into balance, I thought I’d chat up my row partner on the flight. As I was trying to figure out what to say to him as we had both finished our dinners, he asked me how long I would be in Germany. Serendipity of the day number 2. It turns out that Tony was on his way to Germany because his son was on a ventilator and in a coma. After a tour in Iraq, he gets hit in the head during a night out on the town in Germany. This conversation really forced me to put my own life into perspective. We had a great talk about everything from our own lives to politics to Texas (he’s a Longhorn). Tak, so, conclusion - my life is not only cool but blessed. I am about to embark on a year in Prague (funded…thank you taxpayers) and I don’t want to go? Get over it! Not only that, get out there, make the best of it (extraverted half in power with it sounds like introverted half in the chorus). All fired up but still hours before I land…I just discovered that Lufthansa serves wine in the galley throughout the flight…or at least the leftovers from dinner (I love the Germans!). So, carpe diem turns into carpe vinem for a bit.
(Tony if you ever read this, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and especially Todd.)

No comments:

Post a Comment