Friday, November 14, 2008

Why I’m glad I have my comfy boots

Heading out of the flat, I jump on the tram heading to the city center – illegally since I haven't been able to buy a ticket yet – and then have to get off after just 2 stops. Unexpectedly, let me point out. They are working on the tram lines. What does this mean? Well, first, I have to walk about 10-15 minutes to get to the other tram stop (I now have 3 tram stops that I can call "mine" since just to get home I must use these 3). This trek does include walking under Vyšehrad castle, and through the tunnel, and I have a soft spot for Vyšehrad. I think of it as the "forgotten" castle of Prague. It's barely in the guide books, barely on the maps…it's also peaceful, probably due to the lack of foreign tourists (vicious circle of great places and discovery). I also have a "thing" for castles…just check out my favorite pictures page on my website. I also like it because I grew up near Vyšehrad...Texas. It's a little community that is nothing like a fortified castle and doesn't really have a hill. While walking though, I notice the general attitude of my fellow pedestrians. Very complacent, just taking part in their daily activities, not like this extra walk is an inconvenience. By the way, this also means that automobile traffic is disrupted so no bus and taxis have to go all the way around the hill or across the river…As my taxi driver yesterday from the airport tried to explain when he asked which route I wanted to take – through the center or via Barrandov. Apparently, I get a few glasses of beer on my Czech usage rating for the day because I used enough Czech while engaging the taxi driver for him to think I would understand him. Anyway, I also noticed while walking that boots are in! Knee-high boots with skirts and fabulous tights! I am so happy that I brought the proper attire to "fit in." And my boots are functional, all-weather, with treads on the bottom for ice but don't look it so they will be getting a lot of milage…kilometrage?...this year. By the way, as I continued to walk past Vyšehrad towards Prague Castle (Pražský hrad), and the afternoon foggy haze cleared, I saw the Castle and my heart lifted. It tends to do that. I see the Castle and I feel so happy to be here. I have a thing for castles. Maybe I was Libuše in a past life…

No comments:

Post a Comment